In addition to being able to play chess online, this app would give players the option to see each other over video calls, interact with each other in a live chat, and use emotes. The purpose of this app is to allow players to experience their opponent’s reaction despite not being in the same place.
Creating an account
Once users open the app, they will be given the option to create an account. They will have to submit information such as their name, email, and password. They will also be able to create a username and submit a profile picture.
2. Logging in
On the first screen of the app returning users will have to log in with their username and password. In the scenario where they forget their password, they will be given the option to reset it.
3. Playing chess
Once 2 players have connected, they will share a virtual chess board. While playing each player will have the ability to share video and see each other in real time.
4. Live chat
If players decide not to share video, they will have the option to speak to each other in a live chat during the game.
5. Adding contacts
In order to add friends, users will be able to search for other players usernames or send friends an invitation through email or text.
If users decline video chats, they will still be able to react to what is happening by clicking on emotes. The opponent will then be able to see the emote in game.
For this project I decided to create a map of Tonawanda. I am pleased with how the map turned out. The process of creating this map wasn’t too difficult, but it was pretty time consuming because of the amount of roads in the area. The most difficult part of creating the map was getting the street names and symbols to be visible. Other than that I didn’t run into too many difficulties. I decided that the best way to get the symbols to stand out was to use colors that contrast with the background. I decided to go with red because it is very noticeable against the greens and blues of the map.
For this project I wanted to use less saturated and lighter colors to match the lighter aesthetic of the creamer. I added the white to the pattern in the back because I wanted it to look like the creamer was going down the sides of the packaging. This also helped to neatly separate the blues and the pinks and make the pattern look a bit less chaotic. Overall, this resulted in a very simple design which I feel fits nicely with the concept of the product as well as Elmhurst’s already existing branding.
In this project, I attempted to portray what my life is like living in my dorm at Canisius. I included various images of items that I keep around my room and I created a pattern background using the wooden texture on my desk. One of the most challenging parts of this project was arranging all of the items in a way that didn’t completely cover the words in the background. Another challenge that a came across was making the pattern in the background look seamless. I feel that the Facebook image I created turned out better than the phone image because the placement of the figures in the phone version are a little more spread out and there is a lot of empty space.
In this lab I learned how to use the pen tool more effectively. I had already been familiar with using the pen tool in Illustrator, but this lab helped to show me new techniques that I hadn’t known about. I found most of the lab to be easy, but I did find the second last image to be difficult because some of the numbers were out of order. This lab will help me to have better control over the pen tool for future projects.
In this lab, I learned how to generate textures in Photoshop with several different methods. The easiest part of this lab for me was using the gradient tool because I was already familiar with it. The most challenging part of this lab was creating a textured fill with a source image. I was unable to get the pattern to appear seamless so there are divisions around the boarders of where the pattern repeats. I think this submission could be improved by using a source image with a clearer texture.
This project taught me that a portfolio can say a lot about a person simply through the grouping of images. The easiest part for me was editing the images in Photoshop. The most challenging part of this project for me was obtaining images that all related to each other. I decided to get images of objects that I had in my room. I think this submission could be improved by only using images that have significance to me rather than including any objects I found.
In this lab, I learned how to use the magnetic lasso tool and the background eraser in Photoshop. The easiest part of this lab for me was using the magnetic lasso tool to isolate an object. The most difficult part of this lab was getting used to using the background eraser and the pen tool. This lab provided me with useful knowledge for future projects because it provided me with multiple methods to make selections in photoshop.