For this I had to use the magnetic lasso tool to select the outline of the flower. I then added a 10 pixel feather to when i deleted the rest of the picture to make sure that nothing but the flower was left.
I actually reversed what I was supposed to do by selecting the letters as the mask for the background, rather than the other way around. Luckily, what came out of it was a really cool backdrop for the text.
These techniques that we learned how to do will definitely be useful going into further work. Besides that there isn’t much to be said, hopefully I will be able to effectively use what I learned to create something that I can be proud of.